NIMBYs have yet to successfully reduce the demand for housing in Silicon Valley, especially from tech workers. Maybe they simply need better methods? I have some ideas:
* Tax rental payments to the extent that only homeowners can afford to live there.
* Require new homeowners to have a minimum three-hour commute, since their current two-hour commute isn’t enough of a deterrent.
* Keep marijuana legal but criminalize Adderall.
* Put a speed limit on internet connections. 56K ought to be enough for anybody.
* Public burnings of books from Amazon. Not because of the books’ content, but because it’s Amazon.
* Establish the People’s Socialist Republic of Berkeley and bar entry to tech workers from a specific list of countries that include China, India, and the USA.
* Build a wall and make the flyover states pay for it.
* …and build it during Burning Man so those hipsters can’t get back in either.
* Worse comes to worse, increase housing supply?
Market Urbanism is the cross between free-market policies and urban issues. Market Urbanists believe that if cities were liberalized, they would provide cheaper housing, faster transportation, enhanced public services, and a better quality of life.